On Friday I had a bit of meltdown at/after my doctor’s appointment, because my timeline is being cut in about half. It started out like a normal doctor’s visit, but this one was a little more involved because the doctor took the Group B strep culture and I also got my flu shot and my Tdap vaccine. I also brought a copy of my draft birth plan because I wanted to go over it with my doctor before meeting with my doula. My original thinking was I’d go into labor and wait it out a bit at home until the contractions got unbearable. That way I could still move around and eat and be comfortable before going to get the epidural and being strapped to a bed for the remainder of the time.
What the doctor told me instead was because of my gestational diabetes they will need to induce me, and may do so as early as 38 weeks or maybe up to 39 weeks, so the baby doesn’t get too large. I was almost 36 weeks at the time of the appointment, so I kind of had an OMG moment since that’s just over 2 weeks away! I really didn’t want to be induced, partly because I’ve read that can increase the chances of a C-section, it makes the overall experience last longer since they need to give you all kinds of medication to prep your body for delivery since it hasn’t done that on its own yet, plus the pitocin makes the contractions come hard and fast, so no gradual increase in pain as labor progresses. That means I’ll be asking for an epidural right away and won’t be able to walk around for any of it.
That will certainly throw a lot of what is on my birth plan out the window, but I definitely understand the risk of a large baby. I was just thinking that I was controlling that with diet and since my blood sugar numbers have been good and the doctor hasn’t needed to put me on insulin yet I thought I was in the clear. I’m really glad I brought the topic up since that really changes my plans quite a bit.
So the doctor said he might be inducing between November 3-10. I thought I had another month to go with my due date being November 17th. So, bear with me while I get the rest of my mind wrapped around this change.
My Mom isn’t flying in until November 8th, and I wanted her to be here for the birth so she could help me get around during recovery. But now that Dad has decided to fly out with her and take a couple of vacation days to stay until mid-week, perhaps this is a good thing. At least if I have the baby before they arrive, Daddy will get to see his grandson in the short time he’s visiting. Mom will stay for a month and a half though since she can do some of her work from my house.
On a more fun and less stressful note, I had my Houston baby shower on Saturday. I hosted at my house since few people had been over yet and now my friends know where I live and can visit me and the baby. I had a really good turn out and I’m so happy with the great friends I have here. I got a lot of fun toys and good stuff for me that I didn’t have yet, so I’m very thankful. Also, look at the Smurf cake for Smurfberry!