We closed on the new house on Monday, January 27th. Since then we’ve been busy packing up everything in our current house and getting ready for the move. We got the power turned on first, and the water finally turned on yesterday. The gas is being turned on today. The painter is coming this weekend. We already have about half of our stuff moved. I have really really awesome friends. Here’s why: last weekend my friend with a 4-horse trailer volunteered herself and her boyfriend to help us move our big furniture! So last weekend they came over and my awesome friend Rose (aka my co-blogger on the book blog) helped pack up my books while her boyfriend and my husband moved things like the dinning room set, deep freezer, futon, exercise equipment, king size mattress, etc. The only big stuff we have left to move are the fridge, the TV, and the bed we’re currently sleeping on. The rest is little stuff. Hopefully we can move the rest this weekend and once the fridge and stuff is in the new house, we can move the pets and start living out of our new space. It will definitely be an adjustment to me and I don’t know what my new commute will be like, but I love our new house and am looking forward to settling in there!
I have been really busy with a whole lot of different things, and haven’t been keeping up with posting here as often as I would like. I blame the Book Blog. But also, some major changes are happening. So let’s catch up.
1. Hubby came back! So as you can imagine, life has completely changed. I missed him a lot, but I got used to having the house to myself (and the pets). Now there’s someone around who hasn’t been around for almost a year, and we both have some adjusting to do. I took a week off work when he first came home, which was right before Xmas so two of those days were holidays anyway. It was nice to get to spend some time together again finally. But we were very busy once the holidays passed. Because…
2. We’re buying a house! So I mentioned before that we will need to move farther north in the area to split the drive between both our jobs, and so we’ve been looking at houses online for months. When hubby returned, we went and visited our top list, and one house just stood out among the rest. So we made an offer, and we’re buying it! There is so much involved with buying a house, from offers to counteroffers, to loan applications, to house inspections and negotiations on that. There has been a lot of signing a lot of various documents, but hopefully things will settle down a little for this next part of the transaction where we’re waiting for the appraisal and loan approval. Let me tell you, it’s a helluva house. I can’t even call it my dream home, because I never expected a house like this in my wildest dreams. It is HUGE and has 6 bedrooms and a huge yard. So we can have both our families visit at the same time and not be standing on each other. It gives us the room to grow and spread out. Most importantly, yours truly will have her own library We should be closing by the end of January so we’ll be even more busy when we have to pack up our current house and move.
Other things of note…
3. I flew to FL to visit with hubby’s family at the annual Xmas gathering. He wasn’t able to attend because it was just before his release date, so I went alone. It was kind of cool how everyone took good care of me and I guess I’ve been in the family long enough that it wasn’t awkward for me to be on my own. I loved getting to spend time with my niece and nephew too. One bad thing though – the bugs out there love me omg! I have a story for you: a bee flew *IN* my mouth and stung my lip. No kidding. My lip got so big! Omg it was like on Hitch. Awful. So there’s my I hate bugs story of the year.
4. Hubby and I spent NYE in DFW with some friends. We had a really nice time visiting with them and on new years day they took us to the FW Stockyards (which is old timey area in Fort Worth that is very cowboy). I don’t have any pictures to share cause the lady who is a real photographer type who carried around a phallic camera took all the pictures, but has yet to share! She might be holding them hostage until we visit again.
Anyway that’s all I can think of for an update for the past month or so. Until next time, hope everyone is doing well.
I haven’t done Cat Thursday in a while, but I thought I’d participate in this Holiday edition because I recently found this photo of my kitteh Dusty Rose taken several years ago when she was still a wee kitteh. As you can see, Grinch Kitty is not amused. Yea that’s her in a stocking and wearing a Santa hat. I’m so mean apparently.
I definitely watch a lot of TV, though I’ve been watching a lot less this year than I normally do with hubby. I put together this list
of shows that I watched this year or am currently watching.
The first show on my list (Supernatural) is my favorite show and the only show I’ve been watching live. I DVR everything else and watch when convenient, so I don’t even remember what days the shows come on. The rest of the list isn’t in any particular order. I’m sure there are some I’ve forgotten, but this is a good size list.
- The Vampire Diaries
- The Walking Dead
- True Blood
- Once Upon a Time
- Once Upon a Time in Wonderland
- The Voice
- Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- America’s Next Top Model
- Big Bang Theory
- Witches of East End
- Drop Dead Diva
- Two Broke Girls
- How I Met Your Mother
This is what likes to warm my lap when I’m trying to get to sleep How adorable is she?
This was actually this past Friday night. I ran out of cat treats earlier in the week and stopped by after work Friday to get more. She’s a very happy kitty now that she has treats again.
So, I’ve been neglecting thing at this blog quite a bit and I’m sorry about that. I’ve been so busy with posting on the book blog, and since I share personal stuff on facebook, I haven’t been posting here as much. I need to fix that. Feel free to poke me about it. So what have I been up to the last month or so?
Well, I’ve done a lot of bookish stuff. A lot! I’ve been to some really amazing events and since I can’t really “reblog” them here, I will share the links to the posts. I really hope you check them out.
- *Austin Author Event – That’s right, we went on a road trip! It was so much fun! Crazy fun. You HAVE to read the recap. Also, there’s a giveaway.
- *Houston Book Rave – This was probably the most exciting author event I’ve ever been to. I loved the idea of separate party rooms and then a separate signing. We really got to interact with authors without the pressure and time constraints of a signing line.
- *Fierce Reads Tour – this was a fun tour with 4 authors that came to Houston as part of the tour. They had some really fun questions and answers and as it turns out, each of them were sorted to different houses (which is why they toured together, they told us)
- *Atria Indie Authors Tour -3 lovely ladies toured and stopped by our area. They answered some really fun questions. We’re having a giveaway for a signed book as part of this blog post.
What else have I been up to? Well, my favorite holiday just ended – Halloween! So of course I had to torture the pets!
This is them commiserating together.
I had to get some crazy hair and nails going These were stick on nails and didn’t last long cause they were bothering me.
A witch and her familiar.
I also got my nergirl on and got a custom wand made. I actually have two of them cause the guy making them was playing around with staining and so since he made two I got them both. Why not.
My familiar helped pass out candy.
Close ups of the dogs’ costumes.
And there’s my wrap up post. Hope everyone had a fun Halloween and is getting ready for the rest of the upcoming holidays.
I had to buy my kitty a little Halloween costume, because um CUTE! Check it out! I don’t think she cares for it, but oh well.
My awesome friend Miranda shared this adorable pic on my Facebook wall.
I completely agree. Dusty Rose believes a full bowl is necessary.
It is October, which is the month of creatures! So, my black kitty is now wearing her Halloween sweater. Whether she likes it or not.
So you already know I have a book blog that I run with a good book club friend of mine. Well last week Hostgator.com had an awesome deal for Talk Like A Pirate Day, and their deal was 44.44% off! I don’t know why it was 44.44% off, not sure what that has to do with pirates exactly, but we decided to go for it. We were planning on moving our site off wordpress.com eventually, so decided this was a good time to buy hosting. I already bought chapterbreak.net so this was the next step. I’m kind of overwhelmed with all the work it will take to move the site and install new wordpress on the new server. I haven’t done that in so many years that I don’t remember how to do it. I also have no idea how to backup everything on wordpress.com to move to a wordpress.org hosted site. I think we’re probably going to pay a professional blogger to help us with that. I’ve seen some bloggers who do that for people for a fee. I am excited to finally get to use awesome wordpress.org plugins on the book blog, especially one of those awesome plugins specifically designed for book bloggers. So we’ll be making the changes in upcoming months.